Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Let Me Ruin Your Life
Let me ruin your life by showing you one color at a time.
I'll tantalize you, drive you to despair.
Let me take your hands and touch them so softly,
Kiss away into the creases, into the places where you think
You used to be.

Your life, your life -- what were you going to do with it, anyway?
Let me damage it, just a little bit, dust you up a bit.
Don't be the tiresome boy who hoards his Halloween candy. Let me give you a welt to remember me by

Look at all the things you'll miss -- Miss Mary Anne,
Good friends at the beach house, your son taking his first steps.
These are the precious things that can be lost,
The fine threads of your suit coming apart.

Nights that should be spent in dreamless sleep, I come to you,
Cracking open the door a space, I squeeze in,
Looking down beside the bedframe and say,
"Let me ruin your life."

No comments: